They came to some pretty upsetting results after a study where people had to tell the difference between quotes from British "lag mags" and interviews with convicted rapists. Men were more likely to agree with the rapists.
The one who conducted this study were researchers from the university of Surrey, and later on it was published in the British Journal of Psychology.
The study went as follows:
-Men AND Women were given quotes from the British lad Mag FHM, Loaded, Nuts and Zoo, as well as excerpts from interviews with actual convicted rapist from the book 'The Rapist Files".
-The participants couldn't identify which statements came from the rapists and which from tha magazines.
-They also rated the magazine quotes as slighty MORE derogatory than the statements made by rapists.
-The quotes were shown also to separate groups of men. The men were more likely to identify with the rapists statements than the lad mag ones.
The slightly bright spot in the study:-When researchers randomly labelled the quotes as coming from either rapists or magazines, the men were more likely to identify with the ones allegdly drawn from mags. Because they consciously did not WANT to agree with rapists.
So the "who you are", the "self", plays an important part in this. Either you decide who you are, or it is decided for you by upbringing, friends, peer pressure, emotional urges etc...
"We were surprised that participants identified more with the rapists' quotes, and we are concerned that the legitimisation strategies that rapists deploy when they talk about women are more familiar to these young men than we had anticipated." co-author Dr. Peter Hegarty adds
"There is a fundamental concern that the content of such magazines normalises the treatment of women as sexual objects. We are not killjoys or prudes who think that there should be no sexual information and media for young people. But are teenage boys and young men best prepared for fulfilling love and sex when they normalise views about women that are disturbingly close to those mirrored in the language of sexual offenders?"^
What did the rapists and ladmags quotes consist of?For example:
-talk about coercing women
-talk about having sex with them even thought they were initially unwilling.
-->women say no when they really mean yes.
This "woman say no when they really mean yes" as if they are asking for it, is a big stereotype which I have heard before. It is shocking that even lad mags take these things on, but not suprising because lad mags are written by humans, and humans are the ones who create the stereotypes.
They say that now maybe the news that they sound just like rapists will make people and magazines rethink their words.
Isn't this what we should do at all times? Know what we speak and why. Else your like an automatic record running off speaking whatever someone has spoken to you before as a form of repeatance. We have and are all guilty of that sometimes. But it is time to become aware of it and stop it, it's easier than you think if you put your brain in action and realize the effect of this so called "harmless" habbit worldwide.
Lets do the test ourselves! See if you can find the difference between the rapists and the lad mag quotes, dont cheat! ;):
1. There's a certain way you can tell that a girl wants to have sex . . . The way they dress, they flaunt themselves.
2. Some girls walk around in short-shorts . . . showing their body off . . . It just starts a man thinking that if he gets something like that, what can he do with it?
3. A girl may like anal sex because it makes her feel incredibly naughty and she likes feeling like a dirty slut. If this is the case, you can try all sorts of humiliating acts to help live out her filthy fantasy.
4. Mascara running down the cheeks means they've just been crying, and it was probably your fault . . . but you can cheer up the miserable beauty with a bit of the old in and out.
5. What burns me up sometimes about girls is dick-teasers. They lead a man on and then shut him off right there.
6. Filthy talk can be such a turn on for a girl . . . no one wants to be shagged by a mouse . . . A few compliments won't do any harm either . . . ‘I bet you want it from behind you dirty whore' . . .
7. You know girls in general are all right. But some of them are bitches . . . The bitches are the type that . . . need to have it stuffed to them hard and heavy.
8. Escorts . . . they know exactly how to turn a man on. I've given up on girlfriends. They don't know how to satisfy me, but escorts do.
9. You'll find most girls will be reluctant about going to bed with somebody or crawling in the back seat of a car . . . But you can usually seduce them, and they'll do it willingly.
10. There's nothing quite like a woman standing in the dock accused of murder in a sex game gone wrong . . . The possibility of murder does bring a certain frisson to the bedroom.
11. Girls ask for it by wearing these mini-skirts and hotpants . . . they're just displaying their body . . . Whether they realise it or not they're saying, ‘Hey, I've got a beautiful body, and it's yours if you want it.'
12. You do not want to be caught red-handed . . . go and smash her on a park bench. That used to be my trick.
13. Some women are domineering, but I think it's more or less the man who should put his foot down. The man is supposed to be the man. If he acts the man, the woman won't be domineering.
14. I think if a law is passed, there should be a dress code . . . When girls dress in those short skirts and things like that, they're just asking for it.
15. Girls love being tied up . . . it gives them the chance to be the helpless victim.
16. I think girls are like plasticine, if you warm them up you can do anything you want with them.
Answers. 1. Rapist, 2. Rapist, 3. Lad mag, 4. Lad mag, 5. Rapist, 6. Lad mag, 7. Rapist, 8. Lad mag, 9. Rapist, 10. Lad mag, 11. Rapist, 12. Lad mag, 13. Rapist, 14. Rapist, 15. Lad mag, 16. Lad mag
We really need a change in this world. Because such magazine writing should not even be allowed. What we read, hear and see does have an effect on our brain, as well as the younger boys or girls who may get such magazines in their hands. It is not responsible to allow such kind of things for the sake of.. what? Free will/free speech? Sorry but it is getting way out of hand. Then free speech could be anything in the end, where we end up in a moralless non-caring world, totally rationalized into oblivion.
And I am pro using your brain! But together with that must come self-honesty, self-responsebility and insight. it must be alligned with equality. Because when the common good of all as equals is the rule, then in no way can a structure or a media form be created that harms the whole but benefits a minority.
BESsBESsBESsBESsBut as long as money (as it currently works) is the deciding factor... this will not change.